Digital Humanities and Social Sciences
Digital Humanities and Social Sciences (B.A.)
Welcome to the digital revolution! Facebook, social media, digital images and Big Data are changing our world at a rapid pace. But what does this mean for our society, our language and our use of images? How do these developments influence our forms of organization and decision-making, as well as our spatial relations?
The humanities and social sciences are challenged to explore this profound social change and to understand the socio-technical preconditions of digitization. The Digital Humanities and Social Sciences have emerged as a new field of research and offer numerous new methodological possibilities.
Discover the fascinating world of Digital Humanities and Social Sciences and be inspired by the latest findings and developments!
What is the degree program about?
Facebook, social media, digital images, Big Data – in the context of the so-called digital revolution, social relationships, language and the use of images are changing. Forms of organization and decision-making, social spatial relations, etc. are being questioned and reconfigured. The humanities and social sciences, which deal with all aspects of human society, art and culture, language and history, with processes of thinking and communication, are challenged to also explore this profound social change and to understand the socio-technical preconditions of digitalization. At the same time, digital technologies also open up numerous new methodological possibilities for the humanities and social sciences themselves. Accordingly, the Digital Humanities and Social Sciences have emerged as a new field of research. The program forms an interface between the humanities and social sciences and information technology. The concept is interdisciplinary and interdisciplinary:
- Thematic emphases in the areas of “Language and Text,” “Media and Image,” “Society and Space
- Interdisciplinary electives
- Application-oriented practical module
In your studies, you will deal with concepts and technologies of digitalization and acquire
- Basic knowledge of the content, theories and methods of the digital humanities and social sciences.
- Theoretical and practical knowledge of information technology
- Sound professional and methodological skills in dealing with digital technologies in society
Individual study topics include:
- (object-oriented) programming
- Processing of and safe handling with data
- Dealing with networks
- Conceptual modeling (SQL, XML, DTD, UML)
- Statistical analysis methods
- Web technologies
- Knowledge for responsible handling of digital data (legal issues, communication platforms)
Bewerbung für zulassungsfreie Studiengänge
Digitale Geistes- und Sozialwissenschaften
FAU - Moving Knowledge
Do you need help or more information?
Our Student Advice and Career Service (IBZ) is the central point of contact for all questions about studying and starting a degree programme. Our Student Service Centres and subject advisors support you in planning your studies.